Tuesday, June 2, 2009

You Might Be A Redneck Have A HUGE Family If....

Okay. You have heard about my goal/quest for Dylan to meet all of his Great Aunts and Uncles he can. Normally this would not be too hard to wrangle, right? Well, guess again.

I think family is very important, and we have always been a close (although in our own "Salmons Family Way" kind of close) family with oodles and oodles of children and cousins just overflowing from the family tree. Now that Dylan is a part of that family tree, I want him to meet all the "branches" he can. I have no hope of him meeting all his cousins, as I have not even met all the cousins, and do not know the "older" ones names, even.

You see, my grandfather (Salmons) was married three times. Widowed twice, then married my grandmother. He brought along 10 of his own, then added 9 more with my Mamaw. (She had 2 also, to add to our total, 1 before marrying him, 1 after.) He was in his 70's when my dad was born. That, my friends, left me (and many other nieces and nephews) with 20 aunts and uncles, 21 being the grand total. (Although the 'complete' list is 24, I do not have it. I think it includes ALL the children, even the ones that aren't technically even half brother or sisters.)

I was always proud of that number growing up. Back in 'the day' that number wasn't so astonishing, I guess. But in the late 80's early 90's, NO ONE had that many aunts and uncles. No one. I have first cousins old enough to be my grandparents. That always amazed me. (Just call me simple. I don't mind!) I even have first cousins who didn't know me and hit on me at a ball game, but you already read about that in my TST post, right?

To make a long story, well, over, LOL, I made a chart to keep up with who Dylan has or has not met, including the in laws. One for my Dad's side, one for my Mom's side. Of course, I had to edit and crop and make Dad's side into two pictures to make it fit, and Mom's is much more legible and in one picture, but oh well. Mom's chart is also only one away from being "complete."

So, You Might Be A Redneck Have A HUGE Family When You HAVE TO MAKE A CHART TO REMEMBER WHO YOUR NEPHEW HAS OR HAS NOT MET!

Dad's (Poppy) Side

Mom's (Grammy) Side

And by the way, Dylan has already got in all the Great-Greats on BOTH sides! We are SO on top of things!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish that Dylan had already met all of his family, but sadly he hasn't. We have an uncle who was married to my granny's sister that lives far off and that he will probably never meet, sadly, he is up in age and can't travel and I know we will never get dad out that way!! I hate that too, because I loved him soooo much as a child.


Love,
Momma Amy

Aunt Willie said...

Great job, Nee Nee. Where did you get all the info? Did Poppy know all that or did Grammy and a few others folks help, too? How long did it take you to pull the Salmons family tree together?