
Welcome to True Story Tuesday. Brought to you by Rachel & Mr. Daddy at Once Upon A Miracle. A chance to tell the world all the crazy stuff you did and lived to tell about it. Go check it out.
Okay, I SOOOO had another story planned out, but I went and read Rachel's TST first. It was so funny, because her beginning was exactly what I was thinking....."What's left to tell?" What that should correctly say is "What is left that I can still remember to tell?" Her crazy glue story brought back memories fast. So I am going to run with it while I still remember it.
I was about a sophomore in high school. I had a friend over for the night, and we were starting to get slap happy. We were running out of things to do, so one of us had the BRILLIANT idea to take a bunch of plastic apples and crazy glue them together. Guess we were feeling artistic or something.
Well, we didn't thoroughly think this thing through. We piled all 10-12 apples together and drizzled the glue between each one, trying to make a pyramid of sorts. We finally get it in a shape we are satisfied with, only we used WAY too much glue, and it is taking FOREVER to dry and actually stay in that shape.
I get the second brilliant thought for the night by deciding that if I pushed them all together REALLY REALLY hard, they would magically stick and all would be done with our wonderful art piece. Yeah, that didn't go as planned.
You know what happens when you squeeze the dickens out of 12 gooey plastic apples piled into some resemblance of a pyramid / mountain? The "loose" ones POP OUT EVERYWHERE. Including, but not limited too, your FACE. It's miraculous how fast a plastic apple can dry to your forehead and chin, yet takes several minutes to NOT dry to another plastic apple. And same goes for the bathroom sink. And the mirror. And the floor.
I was scared to death. Not because I had two red apples stuck to my face, but because my mother would find out about our little escapade and probably be more concerned about the apples stuck to the floor and such. (Little did I know she would nearly have a coronary laughing at me and I was safe from trouble.)
After a few painful attempts to peel the apples off my face, my friend and I walked the walk of shame and went into the kitchen to admit our artistic defeat. My mom laughed so hard I thought she would choke. She sat me down and peeled the apple off my forehead ( I had managed to get the one off my chin, along with a few layers of skin ) and tried to scrub off (unsuccessfully, I might add) the remaining super glue residue off my face. I wore band aids to church the next day. I probably lied about the reason, I don't really remember. But I am sure if someone asked "What happened to your face?" I did not reply with the whole apple fiasco.
And isn't it funny how easy the apples came off the sink and floor and such? Yeah. Too bad I couldn't take a Brillo pad to my face to remove the leftover glue.
I had glue on my hands for about a week, if I recall correctly.
So that, my friends, was the beginning and end of my wonderful career in art. Can you believe I don't have a studio somewhere?
15 comments:
Oh the things in life that I manage to forget! Makes one wonder how one could! You're still quiet artistic, dear, you've just moved on to something that does not involve crazy glue. Wonder why? About that studio, don't give up the idea yet! Thanks for the memories. Much Love, Grammie
That is just too flippin' hilarious. I can only imagine your mom's reaction. Now, if either of my son's came to me with apples stuck to their face, I would make them pose for a picture first. yeah, I'm nice like that. LOL
You, my dear, are lucky your mother didn't have a blog!
I am howling over here - picturing you with two plastic apples on your face. That is waaaay funnier than my post. Oh golly - I can totally understand the "walk of shame" - only I was stuck scooting on my rear end ;)
I just can't get over this... and you THOUGHT you were plum out of TST's!?! Girlie - I'm glad you remembered this one!
Thanks for the laughs!
Funny. I am sure anyone who has ever used SUPER glue has had a story to tell.....yes, me included, not as funny as yours though.
Pam
I was getting all nervous reading that thinking, I just left the crazy out in within reach of my bored little evil-do'er and I have me some nice floors. The apple would have been absolutely hilarious, but I'd be sooo worried about my floors ;)
Oh but the apple sculpture sounds like a perfect piece for this time of year! That is funny stuff! I can only imagine how much you must have tried to hide your artistic wounds, now only if there were pictures to share. ;)
Oh my gosh! That is just hilarious! I can just imagine you telling your mom what happened all with a big apple stuck to your forehead! That's funny.
I learn quite often, thanks to the blog, something just too funny that I missed in the lives of my dear nieces and family when they were growing up because of living 250 miles away. I think I missed a lot and I am so, so sorry. But this is just to hilarious! I can just see you, Nee Nee, being so nervous about telling your mom. And, I can just see her reaction! Thanks for the new memory and I agree with Grammie; your artistic days are far from past. You are just too creative and wonderful!!!
I learn quite often, thanks to the blog, something just too funny that I missed in the lives of my dear nieces and family when they were growing up because of living 250 miles away. I think I missed a lot and I am so, so sorry. But this is just to hilarious! I can just see you, Nee Nee, being so nervous about telling your mom. And, I can just see her reaction! Thanks for the new memory and I agree with Grammie; your artistic days are far from past. You are just too creative and wonderful!!!
I just had to come back. I know people at work this morning thought I was nutso because I kept laughing out loud to myself every time I pictured you with an apple stuck to your face.
I am so sorry my dear, but I am the "unfunny" one in my family, so I would actually have considered doing that on purpose for a laugh.
Only it couldn't have turned out any more perfect than what you did... that was just too stinkin' hilarious!
So glad I posted that story to remind you of this one. Yours is definitely one for the record books!
This story has me busting at the seams in my cubicle and people are staring at me. Surely they must think I've lost my mind, I haven't worked here quite long enough for them to have confirmed that I am, in fact, NUTSO!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
LOL, that is so funny...oh what we did as kids! I'm sure your mom did think it was pretty funny...I'm sure I would laugh pretty hard if one of my kids did that. :)
I agree with Rachel. This totally would have gone on my blog if blogs existed at the time! Bawahahahahahaha! That is hysterical!
Art comes in many forms NeeNee, it's just that you learned that still life isn't always still. Also that crazy glue can often drive you crazy, especially when it's stuck to your face, and fingers! lol
That was too funny, and i'm glad you didn't get into trouble, speaks volumes about your Mommy and how patient she was/is!
Alva Mae
great time for an apple story. Paintsville just had apple festival to which we never go. it is all of 45 minutes away, you know. i do not remember this story, and i am right next door, but then i have forgotten lots of things. but, i am going to get better at remembering. i need to speak that out loud on a daily or maybe hourly schedule. love from aunt susie
Post a Comment