Welcome to True Story Tuesday! Where you get to tell embarrassingly true stories that you wouldn't hardly believe except you know they are true!!!This is Benji. And his girlfriend Kendra. She is not really in this story, but I wanted to show off their lovely selves in their prom getup. Quite beauties, aren't they?
He will kill me for this one, but here is Benj at about 2 or 3, all decked out for a wedding. He tends to go for the white tuxedo's, huh? This is one of my first memories I have of Benji. I had to go out to Lowella's - his mom- car and get some gel spray for his hair. This is at Sherri's wedding, Cullen's mom. Benj was the ring bearer. Sherri, Lowella and myself are who Cullen wants to be the Golden Sisters, by the way.
I have known both of these kiddos since they were born. I used to work for Benji's family, and we were very close, like a brother and sister with a bigger than normal age gap. He has such a hilarious sense of humor. He was always trying to pull one on people, so he sometimes left me wondering if he was telling the truth about something every now and then. He even pulled the best gag EVER on his dad, who is next to impossible to trick. (I would have said impossible, but I know Benji got him once.) Benny, the dad, was on a "goat" kick for a while. He had one for the hillside, no biggie, but decided to breed and sell some baby goats. Like he didn't have enough to do. Ahem. Anyway. One night we were all at church, and refreshments had been served after it was over. Some of the kids were downstairs goofing off in the sanctuary, and apparently this night included prank calls to their parents.
Benji called and left the following message for his dad, in his best even-more-hillbilly-than-normal voice:
"Um, hello. This is (Insert silly hillbilly name here) from Marr'bone. I was callin' cause I heard ya had some goats fer sale. Call me here at (seemingly fake phone number) and we can talk about it. Um, thanks, now. Bye."
Tee hee. Giggle giggle. Snorty snort. ALL going on in the background. (I was actually there to witness this event so I thought for sure Benny would NEVER fall for it. My goodness, DRUMS and PIANO were playing in the background.)
Well, when we got home, we all began changing clothes, etc. Benny went into the living room and checked the answering machine first thing, which he NEVER did normally. We all kinda paused in the hallway as we heard Benji's message playing on machine. Benj, his mother, and myself were all trying to contain our giggles as we listened to it. We were waiting for an immediate "BENJI!!" after the message finished playing. Silence. Then, beep-beep-beep doot-doot-doot-doot. Benny was actually dialing these people. At first I thought he was just pretending to play along.
Benny's lovely conversation with God only knows who:
"Yes, this is Benny D*****. I was returning your call concerning the goats for sale. I have 2 that are ready to go now, and any time the other 3 will............... Benny D from Bull Creek. With the goats for sale. You called and left a message..... Yes, you did, I just listened to it and it left this number. Is this the (silly hillbilly name) residence? Oh, I see......" His tone was becoming more aggravated all throughout the phone conversation. Like he was thinking, "These crazy people wasting my time....."
Our snorts from the hallway were beginning to float through to living room, and the phone conversation took a certain shift in direction.
"Um, I think I know what is going on. Sorry to bother you so late. Thanks. Bye. (Longest pause on the face of this Earth.) BENJIIIIIIIIIIII!!!"
We all come stumbling in from the hallway like kids caught listening at the door of a conversation they shouldn't have been listening to. We were kinda afraid Benny would be furious, and never see the humor, because he has a unique personality, to say it nicely! LOL He stood there with a gruff, angry look on his face, for what seemed like eternity. "Well, Bub, I gotta hand it to you. You got me..." a SMALL smile crept up his face, which was huge considering Benny. "But if you EVER try that again....."
We all started talking at once about how we never thought he would fall for it, blah blah blah, etc. He just waved his hand off at us, and went on through the hallway to the bedroom. We laughed for at least a good 10 minutes. Just one of those moments. Ah... good times. That one still gets a good chuckle and all you have to say is "Remember that time you left that message for your dad...." and we lose it!
Check out everyone else's True Story Tuesday at Once Upon A Miracle or feel free to join in!
5 comments:
I don't think you ever told me this one before!!! I can just imagine Benny's look, LOL!!! REALLY wish I had been there, but not knowing what Benj had done, lol!!!
What are the odds that he gave a REAL phone number? WOW! That had to be so hard to stay quiet while listening to that conversation! TOO CRAZY! :)
Totally funny - thanks for joining in!
That is hilarious!! I can't even imagine trying to muffle your laughter from the hallway!
That's a great story! Too funny!
Good looking guy - both as a little tyke and now as a grown young man. They sure are all decked out; looking good!
Post a Comment